Life, Love and my passion for cooking

My photo
Carson City, NV, United States
I grew up in Illinois in a small town. I moved to California in May of 2000.In that time I have experienced life, love and my passion for cooking. We now live in Nevada. I hope to take my passion for cooking to a new level.

gourmetpompey

Monday, February 20, 2012

Celery Soup


1 whole bunch celery chopped very small
1/2 Jalapeno chopped small- leave the seeds in and it gives the soup a nice kick!
1 sweet white onion chopped small
1 medium potato cleaned and chopped very small with skin on
2 gloves garlic chopped
2 large carrots chopped small
1 tablespoon dried Oregano
1 tablespoon dried Thyme
1 tablespoon dried Basil
3 Chicken or Vegetable consume cubes- I get the "Telma brand" they are in the kosher isle at most grocery stores.
Each cube calls for two cups of water. I like to add two extra cups so 8 cups water to three cubes.



In a large pot with tablespoon of olive oil saute onion, celery, carrots, Jalapeno and garlic. Saute until celery and onions are nice and soft. Then add the potato give it a nice toss. When the veggies are soft turn off the heat. Break up the consume cubes so that they will dissolve in the water. Add them to a 2 cup purex cup with water and dissolve slightly in the microwave for 1 minute break them up as much as you can. Then add them to the veggie mixture along with the rest of the water. Bring everything to a boil. Then turn the heat down and simmer for at least 1-2 hours. If I have time I let it simmer for 4 hours but 1-2 hours is fine. When everything is soft and the potato is done use a hand blender to puree the soup. If you do not have a hand blender then a food processor will work just add the soup in batches or even a tall blender.

Serve with a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

Serves 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment