Life, Love and my passion for cooking

My photo
Carson City, NV, United States
I grew up in Illinois in a small town. I moved to California in May of 2000.In that time I have experienced life, love and my passion for cooking. We now live in Nevada. I hope to take my passion for cooking to a new level.

gourmetpompey

Friday, August 31, 2012

Healthy veggie recipe

Veggie Barley Salad



1 cup barley
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 yellow bell pepper chopped
1 orange bell pepper chopped
1 spicy pepper chopped- any kind
1/2 cup light feta cheese or any cheese that crumbles. Blue cheese or queso fresco are good choices.
1/2 cup black olives (optional)
1 heirloom tomato I had nice pretty green colored heirlooms. Vine ripe tomatos work just as well, chopped (optional) 

Dressing:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a whisk

1/4 cup balsamic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves chopped fine
fresh ground pepper
pinch of kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1/2 tsp fresh basil


Cook barley with 2 1/4 cups water in a 4 quart pot. Bring to boil then cover and simmer for 40 min. When barley is done let it cool in the pot. Put the barley into a colander and rinse with cool water a few times until its cool.

Meanwhile, chop all your veggies and add them to the barley in a large mixing bowl. Then make the dressing. Add the feta and dressing and mix with salad spoons. Serve in small bowls and enjoy!

keeps in an air tight container for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. This amount makes enough for 4 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment