Life, Love and my passion for cooking

My photo
Carson City, NV, United States
I grew up in Illinois in a small town. I moved to California in May of 2000.In that time I have experienced life, love and my passion for cooking. We now live in Nevada. I hope to take my passion for cooking to a new level.

gourmetpompey

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Homemade dog treats


Chance(left) Myles(right)


     I make these treats for my parents dogs Myles and Chance. They live in Illinois. I love to send them in a little box through UPS. I send them UPS because Myles and Chance know the truck. They have their dog food delivered through UPS. My parents are very strict when it comes to people food. They only get dog food for meals no table food. So I came up with a healthy dog cookie so they could have a treat. My mom could never find very healthy cookies to buy. When UPS comes Myles will lift his head in the air and howl and bark when the truck pulls up. He then flies off the couch as if he is taking off in flight. When we visit them they are always happy to see us but love to smell around our bags to see if we brought them any cookies.
     I decided to try them out on another dog. Our friend Jeremy has a dog named Daisy. She gets her share of table food so I wasn't sure if she would like them because they are healthy. No butter or eggs are in these cookies. I offered her one and she loved them. All evening we were there visiting she kept coming over to me asking for more.
Dog Treats

1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter- NO SALT, SUGAR or OIL ADDED
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup apple juice or water
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 & 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a saucepan, whisk honey, peanut butter, apple sauce, juice or water and oil. Cook over med heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in oats. Allow to cool for 15 min. Stir in flour. Then Stir in enough all purpose flour to form a stiff dough. Divide in half.

2.On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of the dough at a time to about 1/4 inch thick. Using a favorite cookie cutter or dog bone shaped cutter, cut each cookie. Place the cutouts on an ungreased cookie sheet.

3.Bake 20 min. Turn treats over; bake 15-20 min more. When done making all the cookies turn off the oven and place the treats on one large cookie sheet. Place the cookies in the oven for 1 hour as the oven cools down. This makes them nice and crispy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment