Life, Love and my passion for cooking

My photo
Carson City, NV, United States
I grew up in Illinois in a small town. I moved to California in May of 2000.In that time I have experienced life, love and my passion for cooking. We now live in Nevada. I hope to take my passion for cooking to a new level.

gourmetpompey

Friday, April 20, 2012

Wontons

Asian Wontons

I learned to make these while working for a caterer in Pasadena. I made hundreds of these at a time. They freeze really well and are very simple to make. When I catered we fried them in a fryer, it was a fast way to get them out for parties. Here at home we put them in a cast iron and toast them for 3 min then put a few tablespoons of water in the pan and cover for 8min. They come out nice and crispy.

I start with a pound of ground turkey. Usually a half a pound makes about 35 wontons. I freeze the other half a pound of turkey for next time. I mix the half pound turkey, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic paste, green onions finely chopped and some nori flakes(or also called on the container (Furikake traditional blend with toasty sesame seeds and nori) this can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores. mix all that up and put about a 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture in the wonton. Seal the wonton with a little water all around the edge- they show you on the package of wontons. Fold in half then take the corners and bring them together.

Ground Turkey- 1 pound
Soy Sauce- about 1/8 cup
Sesame Oil- 1 tablespoon
Chili Garlic paste- I use 2 tablespoons because I like them spicy.
Green Onions- two of them chopped fine
Nori Flakes- about 1 teaspoon

Fold them and you can either make them right away or freeze them for a week in a freezer container.

If you are making them right away- heat up a cast iron or non stick pan and add a teaspoon of sesame oil add about 6 wontons depending on the size of your pan you don't want to crowd them. Let them toast up nicely for 3-4 min then add about two tablespoons water and cover for 8 min. I like to mix soy sauce and wasabi together for dipping. I like a lot of wasabi it makes eating them very spicy and fun to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment